You are here:
- Bruce Allan / Profile
Bruce Allan MD FRCS
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon Moorfields Eye Hospital
Bruce Allan qualified in medicine from Cambridge in 1985, and was appointed as a Consultant Surgeon at Moorfields in 1998 after advanced specialist training in the UK, South Africa, and Australia. He was Training Director for the Corneal Service at Moorfields for over 10 years, and Service Director for Refractive Surgery from 2012 to 2019. He is currently chairing the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Refractive Surgery Standards Working Group and is an ESCRS and EU Cornea board member.
He and his wife, Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Maria Teresa Casasus Borrell, live in North London with their three daughters. He is a keen football fan and sailor.
Professional activities include:
- NHS practice specialising in cataract and corneal surgery
- Private practice specialising in refractive surgery (laser vision correction, ICL implantation, RLE, restoring near vision)
- Regular presentations at international research meetings, press, radio and television comment on developments in corneal transplantation, cataract and refractive surgery
- Peer review for international medical journals and research grant funding bodies
- Specialist advice for NICE and MHRA
Current research interests include:
- Enhancing treatment accuracy in laser vision correction
- Laser assisted corneal transplantation
- Early intervention and visual rehabilitation in keratoconus